Sporanox (itraconazole) is a prescription antifungal medication available in 100mg capsules, used to treat fungal infections of the nails.
Common side effects: Skin rash, high triglyceride and liver tests, nausea, bloating, diarrhea, upset stomach, vomiting, abdominal pain, constipation or excess stomach gas, altered voice, inflammation of the sinuses, inflammation of the nose, upper respiratory tract infection, headache, dizziness, menstrual disorders, erectile dysfunction, confusion, tremors, sleepiness, fatigue, chills, muscle weakness or pain, painful joints, chest pain, swelling, generalized swelling, unpleasant taste, hair loss, inflammation of the pancreas, fever or excessive sweating
Uncommon, but possible side effects
- Liver toxicity
- Cardiac toxicity
Drug interactions: A wide variety of drugs may interact with Sporanox® capsules. Never take Sporanox capsules if you are taking any of the following medications:
- Methadone, quinidine, dofetilide, levavetylmethadol (levomethadyl), cisapride, disopyramide, dronedarone, pimozide and ranolazine (each can result in dangerous or even life-threatening abnormal heartbeats)
- HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, such as lovastatin and simvastatin, which could result in a potentially serious breakdown of muscle tissue
- Triazolam and midazolam (oral), which may worsen or prolong drowsiness
- Ergot alkaloids, such as dihydroergotamine, ergotamine, ergometrine (ergonovine) and methylergonovine, which could result in a serious or life-threatening decrease in blood flow to the brain and/or limbs (ischemia)
- Eletripan, a migraine medication, which could result in serious side effects
- Felodipine, eplerenone and misoldipine medicines for angina (crushing chest pain) or high blood pressure
- Irinotecan, an anti-cancer drug
- Lurasidone, an antipsychotic drug
- Colchine, a medicine to treat gout, when used in subjects with kidney or liver impairment.
Other medications may also interact with Sporanox. This is not a complete list.
?Ask your family physician if Sporanox is right for you.